Get free weekly activities sent to your inbox. Sign up now.
In honor of World Kindness Day on November 13th, we're sharing one way to make kindness a regular part of your family’s routine. This activity is featured in our November calendar. If you do not yet have your free copy, get it here.
Get inspiration from a story:
Chat about the story:
Make a Kindness Jar!
Brainstorm and fill the jar:
- Turn rocks or acorns into smiles you can spread around your neighborhood.
- Grab some gloves and a trash bag and pick up some litter early in the morning, when there are few people in your local park.
- Tell someone a joke either in person, over the phone or by sending a quick video.
- Fill the bird feeder or make your own, then sit and watch the birds (or the squirrels, in our case) benefit from your efforts.
- Spend the afternoon making a community nature display, then leave it so other park goers can see, delight in and even add to it.
- Make a painting or drawing that would make someone smile and share it with a friend or post it in the window or front yard for people to see as they pass by.
- Pick a flower bouquet and leave it at someone’s front door.
- Tell 3 different people about what you like about them or what they are really good at.
- Stand on the corner of the street and wave and smile to the cars and people who go by.
- Make a card to thank the people who care for your local park.
Why is this activity great for kids?
- Emotional (Social) Empathy—The sensing of the emotions that another person is feeling.
- Cognitive Empathy—Sometimes called “perspective taking,” this is the ability to think about how another person is thinking.
- Compassionate Empathy—This is how we move past sensing another person’s feelings to taking action in response—precisely what we are doing in this activity!
Try a Free Class
- Two class formats: try a free In-Person session (where and when available) or try Tinkergarten Anywhere, our on-demand product available anytime.
- In either format, a certified Tinkergarten Leader will teach a Tinkergarten lesson and inspire your kids to play.
- Sample the additional activities and resources families get each week to keep kids learning outside at home.
Become or Recommend a Leader
- Help us bring Tinkergarten to your community.
- Recommend people you think would make great Tinkergarten Leaders.
- Maybe that’s you!
- Earn a $100 gift card to Amazon if your nominee becomes a Leader!