This activity is featured in our April Activity Calendar. If you do not yet have your free copy, get it here.
Introduce the egg carton:
Offer prompts to support play:
- Sensory hunt: “Do you think you can fill your treasure box with things that feel really neat/soft/rough? What if you used your nose (ears) to hunt and filled your box with things that smell (make a sound)?"
- All the same: “Can you find things that are all the same color/shape/texture?”
- All different: “Can you find something for each space that is a different color/shape/texture?
- Guess the category: Let kids pick their own category as they search. Then, as they show you their collection, you guess what the 6 objects have in common.
- Watch a video version of this activity to spark even more ideas!
What can kids do with their nature treasure collection? Make nature treasure designs with our Shapes of Love and Joy DIY, design a Nature Treasure Display, or take inspiration from squirrels and play nature treasure hide and seek with our Cache and Find DIY.
Need some ideas for those eggs inside your egg carton treasure box? Try out our Dye Eggs the Natural Way DIY or our Eggheads planting activity.