Get free weekly activities sent to your inbox. Sign up now.
Keep these ideas in your “bag of tricks” and add one or more of them to a sunny day out. Or, grab a flashlight at night and have fun in or outdoors! Your kids will develop body, mind and spirit as they move, play and experiment with sunlight and shadows.
Click to get your free copy and sign up to get a fresh, new calendar each month!
- stand on one foot
- get really big or small
- get wide or skinny
- spell words
- do the arm wave
- join other shadow(s) to make a shape (circle, heart, square, triangle, etc) or cool designs
- give a high five or handshake to someone else’s shadow without the two people touching
- hide inside someone else’s shadow
- do some mindful movement (e.g. lion pose, cobra pose, star pose, mountain pose )
- turn into a creature from nature (lions, tigers, spiders, deer, birds...you name it!)
- turn into a character from imagination (from princesses to warriors to medusa, the possibilities are endless)
- use sidewalk chalk or nature treasures (e.g. sticks, stones, leaves) to trace shadows striking a pose
Why is this activity great for kids?
Try a Free Class
- Two class formats: take a free online live session any day. Or try a free in-person session where and when available.
- In either format, a certified Tinkergarten Leader will teach a Tinkergarten lesson and inspire your kids to play.
- Sample the additional activities and resources families get each week to keep kids learning outside at home.
Become or Recommend a Leader
- Help us bring Tinkergarten to your community.
- Recommend people you think would make great Tinkergarten Leaders.
- Maybe that’s you!
- Earn a $100 gift card to Amazon if your nominee becomes a Leader!