Get free weekly activities sent to your inbox. Sign up now.
This activity is featured in our October Activity Calendar. If you don't yet have your free copy, get it here.
To play along with us this fall, click here to sign up for today for Tinkergarten Anywhere or to check out the free lesson and companion activities and resources.
Talk about your feathered friends:
Prepare the oranges:
- Cut the oranges in half.
- Scoop out the contents (and enjoy!).
- On each hollowed-out half, cut an x through the orange skin, aiming to get the x about ¼ inch below the rim. Rotate the orange to make 4 such cuts, each ¼ of the way around the orange.
- Poke a stick straight through the orange between two opposite holes. Poke a stick through the other pair of opposite holes.
- Cut four pieces of string, twine or yarn, each about 2 feet in length.
- Tie each piece of string to a different end of the two sticks.
Hang your feeder:
- Walk outdoors and find a tree limb or other hanging spot for your feeder. Tie the loose ends of the four strings together around a branch to hang the feeder up.
- Lift your child up and spoon or scoop bird seed from your bucket into your feeder. Note: The squirrels thank you for not being too careful on this step.
- Stand back a ways and observe who comes to your feeder. Watch how your feeder changes over time. Re-up the birdseed as needed, too!
- Enjoy observing both the feeder and the creatures who flock to it hour to hour and day to day.
Why is this activity great for kids?
Try a Free Class
- Two class formats: try a free In-Person session (where and when available) or try Tinkergarten Anywhere, our on-demand product available anytime.
- In either format, a certified Tinkergarten Leader will teach a Tinkergarten lesson and inspire your kids to play.
- Sample the additional activities and resources families get each week to keep kids learning outside at home.
Become or Recommend a Leader
- Help us bring Tinkergarten to your community.
- Recommend people you think would make great Tinkergarten Leaders.
- Maybe that’s you!
- Earn a $100 gift card to Amazon if your nominee becomes a Leader!