Get free weekly activities sent to your inbox. Sign up now.
"Buzzmaker" (as seen in Lesson 4 of Tinkergarten Anywhere): Want to make a simple tool that makes a vibration that sounds like the buzzing of winged insects? You'll need to gather the following: a 3x5 notecard; a pencil or popsicle stick; tape or stapler; rubber band; and two pencil cap erasers. Then, follow these simple steps:
- Tape or staple the 3 inch edge of the note card to the center of the pencil. If taping, use just enough to secure the edge to the pencil but not to wrap around the card (we want the card to be free to flutter).
- Tie the twine around one end of the pencil.
- Place eraser caps over the two ends of the pencil.
- Stretch the rubber band across the pencil/eraser caps, end to end. Go slowly and beware flying rubber bands during this step!
- Note: If your rubber bands are too small, you can cut the pencil down or use a popsicle stick instead.
- Draw stripes on the card to give it a more "winged" feel (optional).
- Go outside and twirl! Be careful to give your buzzmaker plenty of space to fly (and not hit friends!). If the notecard comes off, just retape and keep going! [See a buzzmaker in action here!]
Why is this activity great for kids?
Try a Free Class
- Two class formats: try a free In-Person session (where and when available) or try Tinkergarten Anywhere, our on-demand product available anytime.
- In either format, a certified Tinkergarten Leader will teach a Tinkergarten lesson and inspire your kids to play.
- Sample the additional activities and resources families get each week to keep kids learning outside at home.
Become or Recommend a Leader
- Help us bring Tinkergarten to your community.
- Recommend people you think would make great Tinkergarten Leaders.
- Maybe that’s you!
- Earn a $100 gift card to Amazon if your nominee becomes a Leader!