Get free weekly activities sent to your inbox. Sign up now.
Get inspiration from a story:
Make fry bread:
- 2.5 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. oil
- 1 cup water
- Stick (if roasting over a campfire)
- Mix the dry ingredients, then add your wet ingredients. Knead the dough and continue adding a bit of water at a time until it forms a dough that does not stick to the hands. Kids will enjoy helping with measuring, mixing and kneading the dough, too!
- Campfire Tip: If cooking at the campsite, mix the dry ingredients ahead of time and store in a container or resealable bag. When ready to cook at your campsite, add the oil and a bit of water and mix together.
- Leave the dough to rest for 30 minutes.
Step 3: Mold the dough
- Divide the dough into 6 portions.
- If cooking at home: Form each section into a ball, then use the palm of your hand to lightly press down to flatten.
- If cooking over a campfire: Use the palm of your hand to roll each portion out into a long worm or shape. Then, wrap the dough around a stick.
- If cooking at home: Place dough in a frying pan with a bit of oil or butter, flipping it to cook both sides until the dough is golden brown and cooked through.
- If cooking over a campfire: Roast the dough over the fire, turning frequently, until the fry bread is cooked through and brown.
Why is this activity great for kids?
Try a Free Class
- Two class formats: try a free In-Person session (where and when available) or try Tinkergarten Anywhere, our on-demand product available anytime.
- In either format, a certified Tinkergarten Leader will teach a Tinkergarten lesson and inspire your kids to play.
- Sample the additional activities and resources families get each week to keep kids learning outside at home.
Become or Recommend a Leader
- Help us bring Tinkergarten to your community.
- Recommend people you think would make great Tinkergarten Leaders.
- Maybe that’s you!
- Earn a $100 gift card to Amazon if your nominee becomes a Leader!