Get free weekly activities sent to your inbox. Sign up now.
An Original Twist on The Nature Crown Activity for Kids
- Prep your materials: Gather strips of heavyweight paper about 2 to 2.5 feet long. (Poster board works.) Each strip will make one crown. Apply two pieces of double-sided tape down the center along the length of each paper strip, leaving on the paper backing until you are ready to use it with kids.
- Select the spot: Pick an outdoor area with a range of small, light objects with interesting colors, shapes, textures and/or scents (for example, flowers, grasses, leaves, seeds, berries, bark, even dead bugs!)..
- Hook 'em: Read Where the Wild Things Are. When you finish, go back to the page when Max gets crowned, king of the wild things. Then ask if they would like to become kings and queens of the wild things. When they shout “YES!” wonder how you can tell Max is the king. Then, move on to making crowns just like Max’s.
- Hunt for decorations: Encourage kids to scan the outdoor area using all their senses (except for taste!) to find interesting objects for their crowns. Give kids a bindle or a bag for collecting objects. We’ve found it works best when kids hunt first, then land somewhere to stick things onto their crowns.
- Make the crowns: Help kids peel the paper backing off the double-sided tape. Give a little coaching about how to stick things onto the tape (be available to work “as a team” with kids who struggle with this). Once kids have decorated the strips, wrap them around their heads and use clear packing tape to secure them into crowns.
- Rumpus! Once all kids have been crowned, get your silly on. Hang from tree limbs, gnash wild teeth, show wild claws, jump, dance, hoot -- you get the idea! Kids will quickly follow your lead. Some kids may want to morph into princesses, warriors or other personalities -- which is okay! Step back and let them go for it.
Why is this activity great for kids?
Try a Free Class
- Two class formats: take a free online live session any day. Or try a free in-person session where and when available.
- In either format, a certified Tinkergarten Leader will teach a Tinkergarten lesson and inspire your kids to play.
- Sample the additional activities and resources families get each week to keep kids learning outside at home.
Become or Recommend a Leader
- Help us bring Tinkergarten to your community.
- Recommend people you think would make great Tinkergarten Leaders.
- Maybe that’s you!
- Earn a $100 gift card to Amazon if your nominee becomes a Leader!