Get free weekly activities sent to your inbox. Sign up now.
In celebration of this super cool summer treat, we share some ways to wonder with watermelon! Make watermelon popsicles, slip around with a greasy watermelon...or just savor the sweetness!
This is part of our free August play calendar. Need your copy? Visit tinkergarten.com/calendar.
Pick out a watermelon!
Before you cut...
Slippery Watermelon Fun
- What does watermelon feel like on your tongue? When you pinch a piece in your fingers?
- What does it sound like when you chew it? slurp it?
- What do you notice about how the watermelon looks?
- And best of all, what does it taste like to you?
- Tip: Line up targets so that they are pointed away from friends. Make it a point to help kids understand that this is special, and there is a time and a place for this kind of spitting—not all kinds of spitting!
- You can add a math lesson for kids who are ready by welcoming kids to predict and count how many seeds they'll find or how many seeds they'll successfully spit onto their target. Or, just model counting as you spit yourself for those not ready.
- Ingredients: Equal parts watermelon, fruit juice of your choice and water.
- Instructions: Blend up the ingredients in a blender. Or have fun mashing them with a potato masher (this will make some chunky popsicles and a bit of a mess, but it's really fun for kids!). Put them in the freezer for 1-2 hours. After they've started to solidify, poke in a stick.
- Tip: If you want to make popsicles often, consider reusable popsicle molds like these. If you don't have molds, use a muffin tin or recycled containers like yogurt cups or even cups!
- Experiment with flavors! The NY Times recommends adding lime. We love to add mint (which is usually taking over the garden by August!).
Why is this activity great for kids?
Try a Free Class
- Two class formats: try a free In-Person session (where and when available) or try Tinkergarten Anywhere, our on-demand product available anytime.
- In either format, a certified Tinkergarten Leader will teach a Tinkergarten lesson and inspire your kids to play.
- Sample the additional activities and resources families get each week to keep kids learning outside at home.
Become or Recommend a Leader
- Help us bring Tinkergarten to your community.
- Recommend people you think would make great Tinkergarten Leaders.
- Maybe that’s you!
- Earn a $100 gift card to Amazon if your nominee becomes a Leader!