Get free weekly activities sent to your inbox. Sign up now.
- Reframe the world—Download, print and cut out one of our three "picture frames." Then, head outside and walk around looking for beautiful pictures in your favorite green space. Enjoy seeing new landscapes, close ups and everything in between!
- Make your own frame—Feeling crafty? Make your own "picture frame" using cardboard or nature treasures. We love to use a little twine to connect four sticks to create a rustic frame! Just like the paper frames, you can walk around with your homemade frame to capture "portraits" of beauty outside.
- Close up—If you have a magnifying glass, let kids explore how to see tiny things up close. There is so much beauty in the tiny details of nature—whole worlds to discover! If you don't have a magnifying glass, don't worry! You can place a loop of string on the ground or on any surface outside. Just giving kids a finite space to focus on helps them look and notice the beauty you can find close up in nature.
- Far away—You can also use binoculars to help kids spot treasures that are far away. Even if you don't have binoculars, you could use two toilet paper tubes and a little tape to make some pretend binoculars and give kids an equally powerful invitation to look far off for treasure. Just directing kids focus through the tubes gives them a way to see the beauty around them with new eyes.
- Open your noses to smell! Be sure to smell high and low. It's also fun to take sniffs in open spaces and get up close with various plants, different types of ground cover, rocks and other features of your favorite outdoor space.
- Feel for beauty. Walk around and feel the amazing range of textures and temperatures in your outdoor space. Which are your favorite treasures when you only use your sense of touch?
- Sound it out. Start by laying down and just listening to the symphony of sounds outside. Then, walk around listening for sounds high, low and all around your green space. You can even have fun making your own sounds using the objects around you!
Try a Free Class
- Two class formats: take a free online live session any day. Or try a free in-person session where and when available.
- In either format, a certified Tinkergarten Leader will teach a Tinkergarten lesson and inspire your kids to play.
- Sample the additional activities and resources families get each week to keep kids learning outside at home.
Become or Recommend a Leader
- Help us bring Tinkergarten to your community.
- Recommend people you think would make great Tinkergarten Leaders.
- Maybe that’s you!
- Earn a $100 gift card to Amazon if your nominee becomes a Leader!