Get free weekly activities sent to your inbox. Sign up now.
This activity is featured in our December calendar. If you do not yet have your free copy, get it here.
Find a space for your swap.
Once you have a space, pick a date and time.
- Set a time for dropping off items (e.g. noon to 1:30pm on the day of your event).
- Set a time for shopping for items (e.g. 1:45 to 3pm on the day of your event).
Decide on how it will work:
- How many different things can people donate? What can people not donate? Toys have become hard to donate after our swaps, so we now stick to clothes and gear—but that still makes a huge impact!
- Decide about whether or not you’ll welcome kids to come and, if possible, if volunteers or an older child/teen can offer an activity for kids to do while their grown ups shop and swap. (Find hundreds of outdoor activity ideas at tinkergarten.com/activities).
- Do you want to make it festive? Add in some music and refreshments and voila, it's a party!
- Decide where you will donate any leftover clothes and gear, too.
Spread the word!
- Make a flyer, document or communication that explains what you’ll be swapping and how it works. Be explicit about:
- Exactly what you will include in the swap and what you’ll turn away.
- The quality of items you’ll include in the swap (e.g. clean, gently used items).
- Where people can come to drop off items and where they’ll wait for the swap to begin.
- Connect through your personal networks, parenting groups, schools, faith organizations, etc. to spread the word and welcome as many families as you can to benefit from your swap.
Secure volunteers & materials
- Get friends who want to participate to promise to help, too. You’ll need help organizing the items as they arrive by category and age to make the swapping smooth.
- Gather bags or make it really clear to swappers ahead of time that they should BYO bags. Gather bags or boxes for packing up any leftover items for donation once the swap is done.
Enjoy the swap!
Why is this activity great for kids?
Try a Free Class
- Two class formats: try a free In-Person session (where and when available) or try Tinkergarten Anywhere, our on-demand product available anytime.
- In either format, a certified Tinkergarten Leader will teach a Tinkergarten lesson and inspire your kids to play.
- Sample the additional activities and resources families get each week to keep kids learning outside at home.
Become or Recommend a Leader
- Help us bring Tinkergarten to your community.
- Recommend people you think would make great Tinkergarten Leaders.
- Maybe that’s you!
- Earn a $100 gift card to Amazon if your nominee becomes a Leader!