Get free weekly activities sent to your inbox. Sign up now.
- Learn about lions: Watch a video about the African lion from National Geographic kids to learn more about these amazing creatures.
- Move and communicate like lions:
- Stalk and pounce: Invite your child to pick a spot or object outside to focus their eyes on as they pretend to stalk (moving slowly on all fours) through the grass. Kids can alternate between stalking and pouncing, too!
- Groom: Like housecats, lions spend a lot of time licking their fur to keep clean. Lion tongues have small hooks called papillae that act like a comb when they glide across their fur. Kids can pretend to lick their “paws” and rub their paws over their mane to keep clean.
- Greet lion friends: Lions rub heads as a way of greeting each other and spreading the family scent. Family members can greet each other like lions by gently nuzzling heads together.
- Rour: The lion’s roar is the loudest of all the big cats and can be heard 5 miles away! Practice your roars together and see how far your roars can travel.
- Lion-inspired mindful movement: Try out lion pose together to release tension and help kids feel feel more focused and in control of body and emotions. See a how-to video of lion pose here.
- Make a lion’s mane: Offer kids recycled materials, art materials and/or nature objects and invite them to create their own lion's mane to spark imaginative play. To make a mane out of a paper plate, cut out the center of the plate and invite kids to glue construction paper, collage scraps or colorful fall leaves along the outside. Attach a stick to turn your mane into a puppet.
Why is this activity great for kids?
Try a Free Class
- Two class formats: try a free In-Person session (where and when available) or try Tinkergarten Anywhere, our on-demand product available anytime.
- In either format, a certified Tinkergarten Leader will teach a Tinkergarten lesson and inspire your kids to play.
- Sample the additional activities and resources families get each week to keep kids learning outside at home.
Become or Recommend a Leader
- Help us bring Tinkergarten to your community.
- Recommend people you think would make great Tinkergarten Leaders.
- Maybe that’s you!
- Earn a $100 gift card to Amazon if your nominee becomes a Leader!