Get free weekly activities sent to your inbox. Sign up now.
- Prep your materials: Gather tape (paper craft is our favorite, but duct tape works too) and a pair of scissors. Then, head outside!
- Select the spot: Pick an outdoor area with a range of small, light objects with interesting colors, shapes, textures and/or scents (for example, flowers, grasses, leaves, seeds, berries, bark, even dead bugs!)..
- Wonder: Hook kids with a bit of wonder with an invitation like:
- I wonder how we could collect nature treasures without using any containers...no buckets, pockets or anything. Hmmm...
- I wonder if we could make nature jewelry...like bracelets or anklets. What do you think?
- Wrap some tape: Wrap tape inside-out around your and kids' wrists, ankles, legs, etc. If kids don't really want to wear the tape, you can wrap it inside-out around a tree trunk, pole or other feature of your outdoor space.
- Hunt for decorations: Encourage kids to scan the outdoor area using all their senses (except for taste!) to find interesting objects to help decorate their bracelets, anklets, etc.
- Stick away: Help kids see how easy it is to stick found objects to the tape. Give a little coaching if kids get frustrated that objects too big, heavy, round or wet won't stick.
- Patterns: For older kids, encourage them to make patterns or designs on the tape—a great challenge that gives a growing math brain a nice workout, too!
- Parade! Once all of our designs are complete, get your silly on. Have fun parading about with your beautiful accessories or make it a point to behold your creations.
Why is this activity great for kids?
Try a Free Class
- Two class formats: try a free In-Person session (where and when available) or try Tinkergarten Anywhere, our on-demand product available anytime.
- In either format, a certified Tinkergarten Leader will teach a Tinkergarten lesson and inspire your kids to play.
- Sample the additional activities and resources families get each week to keep kids learning outside at home.
Become or Recommend a Leader
- Help us bring Tinkergarten to your community.
- Recommend people you think would make great Tinkergarten Leaders.
- Maybe that’s you!
- Earn a $100 gift card to Amazon if your nominee becomes a Leader!