Get free weekly activities sent to your inbox. Sign up now.
- Age: 0 to 8+
- Time: 1 hour+
- Materials: freezable container (ice cube tray, muffin tin, recycled container), water, bin or bowl, small objects from nature, (optional) table salt, wooden spoons
This activity is featured in our July Activity Calendar. If you do not yet have your free copy of the calendar, get it here.
- Head out on a nature treasure hunt with your child to collect a variety of small rocks, leaves, flower petals and other colorful objects from nature.
- Welcome your child to add the treasures to a freezer-safe container. You can use ice cube trays, muffin tins or even recycled containers.
- (optional) If you want to add an extra dose of color to some of your treasures, put a few drops of food coloring/watercolor paint into the container.
- Pour in the water and freeze for about 24 hours.
- Take them out of the freezer and give them a minute to warm up, then pop them out into a bowl.
Why is this activity great for kids?
Try a Free Class
- Two class formats: try a free In-Person session (where and when available) or try Tinkergarten Anywhere, our on-demand product available anytime.
- In either format, a certified Tinkergarten Leader will teach a Tinkergarten lesson and inspire your kids to play.
- Sample the additional activities and resources families get each week to keep kids learning outside at home.
Become or Recommend a Leader
- Help us bring Tinkergarten to your community.
- Recommend people you think would make great Tinkergarten Leaders.
- Maybe that’s you!
- Earn a $100 gift card to Amazon if your nominee becomes a Leader!