Get free weekly activities sent to your inbox. Sign up now.
Tree Appreciation and Gratitude Activity for Kids
- Head outside: As you walk, hike or even just move from building to car to building, notice and remark on the trees you pass. Talk about their size, shape, color, movement—anything you notice about them.
- Find a tree: Pick a special tree and get to know your tree using multiple senses. (Get up close and feel the bark against your face or hands, listen to the leaves rustle or what it sounds like when a stick rubs against it, sniff the tree.)
- Give your tree a name: Now that you’ve spent some time observing your tree with all of your senses, focus on your connection to the tree. There are many ways to do this, but a great route to take for kids is to name their tree. Slow down and wonder with kids about what they think the tree’s name is. What are the qualities the tree has that most stand out to kids, and can those maybe inspire a name?
- Climb, if you can. If there's a limb low and strong enough to start, climb! Click here for tips on safe climbing for kids.
- Enjoy. Other fun things to do with your tree:
- Measure your tree using a rope or your arms or a tape measure.
- Use mud or nature treasures to make a face on your tree or decorate it.
- Sing songs and tell jokes to your tree.
- Again and again. Visit the tree over time and through different seasons to see what stays the same and what changes--both physically with the tree, as well as with your relationship to the tree.
- Do some research: Get to know the scientific name for the tree and learn something special about it. Download a free app like LeafSnap or Virginia Tech Tree ID to help you easily identify trees by their leaves, fruits and other features.
- Get inspired: If you can carve out an hour or so for grown up time, watch Judy Dench share her passion for trees in this fascinating and inspiring documentary. You will never see trees the same way.
Why is this activity great for kids?
Try a Free Class
- Two class formats: try a free In-Person session (where and when available) or try Tinkergarten Anywhere, our on-demand product available anytime.
- In either format, a certified Tinkergarten Leader will teach a Tinkergarten lesson and inspire your kids to play.
- Sample the additional activities and resources families get each week to keep kids learning outside at home.
Become or Recommend a Leader
- Help us bring Tinkergarten to your community.
- Recommend people you think would make great Tinkergarten Leaders.
- Maybe that’s you!
- Earn a $100 gift card to Amazon if your nominee becomes a Leader!